RSS

Mummy Gong's Sambal Ulek

Mummy Gong Sambal Ulek
Ingredient
43 red chillis - 460g
16 green chillis - 125g
30 chillis paid - 45.5g
Galangal - 18g
Belachan - 50g
3 lemon grass stalk
5 tomatoes
23 garlic
5 medium size onion

Salt
Gula Melaka

Belachan - A better grade belachan that I got from the market. Lighter in tone, doesnt smell so pungent compare the the cheaper version. I roasted the belachan over my frying pan to bring out the aroma. 
All the ingredients need to be cooked over the fire to bring in more aroma and bring down the pungency.
Yes, this Ulek recipe contains tomatoes and you will be amazed by the effect that the tomatoes will bring to the chili later. It mellow down the heatness a little and give a sour and sweet after taste.
I pan fried the tomatoes to soften it and tomatoes released the good properties of vitamin when contact with heat and oil. 
Did I say all ingredient but be cooked once? Yes, chili too. Infact it is easier to blend the chili and the rest of the ingredients because they have all turn softer. 
For this recipe, I wanted to add some green chilli for a change. Some recipe calls for green chilli padi which can be very spicy. Mine is just the normal big size green chili which is usually more crunchy and sweet.

I forgotten to take a picture of the blended chili and the pictures while I frying the chili. Yes after blending the chili, cook the chili in a deep pot with 1 cup of oil till it thicken as show below. It was dangerous cooking chili. 

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: